1992-1994 Post-doctoral fellow, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, the Department of Sociology and the Institute of Criminology, the Faculty of Law, sociology of law, sociology of deviance.
1985-1992 Ph.D. Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada, Criminology.
1980-1984 M.A. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Criminology.
1981-1982 Teaching Certificate, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
1977-1980 B.A. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Education, Arabic Language.
Appointments at the Hebrew University
2012-2018 Full Professor, the Institute of Criminology, the Faculty
Of Law and the Paul Baerwald School of Social Work and Social Welfare.
2007– 2012 Associate Professor, the Institute of Criminology, the Faculty of Law and the Paul Baerwald School of Social Work and Social
2002- 2007 Senior Lecturer, the Institute of Criminology, the Faculty of
Law and the Paul Baerwald School of Social Work and Social Welfare.
1994-2002 Lecturer, the Institute of Criminology, the Faculty of Law and
The Paul Baerwald School of Social Work.
Additional Functions (Within the Past Five Years)
2018- Current President, the Open University of Israel
2014- 2018 Dean, The Paul Baerwald School of Social Work & Social
Welfare, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
2017- 2018 Director, CDEL Centre (Centre for the study of the Dignified
End of Life), The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
2016- 2018 Editor of Megamot, Behavioral Sciences Journal (Hebrew)
2010- 2014 Provost, Rothberg International School, The Hebrew
University of Jerusalem.
2013 – 2014 Member, Screening Committee, The department of International
Relations. The Hebrew University.
2013- 2015 President, Israeli Law and Society Association.
2013- 2015 Member, Israeli Science Foundation, Post-doctoral
Committee for the Social Sciences.
2010-2018 Member, the Board of the Israeli Association of Criminology.
2009-2018 Member, the Prison Authority, Research Committee.
2009- 2018 Member, Academic Committee, The Halbert Centre of
2003- 2018 Associate Editor, The Journal of Experimental Criminology.
2019-2021 Israel Science Foundation (ISF) Women, Social Work and the
Helping Professions in the Third Sector, with Michal Almog-Bar and Michal Soffer, $70,000
2017-2019 National Insurance, Active Take-Up of Social Rights in Social
Security, with John Gal, Avishai Benish and Roni Holler, $40,000
2016-2017 Israel Science Foundation (ISF, workshop): Civil Society and
the Welfare State at the Age of New Public Governance: A cross
Nationa Exploration with Michal Almog-Bar, $30,000
2012-2014 Israel Science Foundation (ISF) An Alternative Welfare
Sphere and its Implications: Civil society organizations providing
welfare services in Israel, with Michal Almog-Bar, $120,000.
List of Publication (Within the Past Five Years)
Books & Edited Books
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi, Soffer, Michal and Steinberg Odeda (2010) In the Prison I Rest: Women Behind the Prison Walls. Tel-Aviv: Hakibutz Hameuhad, Kav Adom Series. (Hebrew).
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and John Gal (eds.) (2010). Children, Families and Women in the welfare Mediterranean Countries. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and John Gal (eds.) (2009). Access to Social Justice in Israel. Jerusalem: The Taub Centre for the Study of Social Policy in Israel (Hebrew).
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Guy Mundlak (eds.) (2008) Empowerment on Trial. Tel-Aviv: Tel-Aviv University, Nevo (Hebrew).
Chapters in Collections
Siegel, A., Brickman, S., Goldberg, Z. & Pat-Horenczyk, R. (2019). Preventing future terrorism: Intervening on youth radicalization. In: C. Hoven, L. Amsel & S. Tyano (Eds.) An international perspective on disasters and children's mental health: Integrating psychiatry and primary care (pp. 391-417). Springer, Cham.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Brian Burtch (1990) “Medicalization and Regulation of Alcoholism: The Professions and Disciplinary Measures.” International Journal of Law and Psychiatry. 13 (1-2): 127-147.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi (1994) “The Changing Image of the State: The Case of Alcohol Regulations in British Columbia. The Canadian Journal of Sociology. 4: 441-460.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Brian Burtch (1994) “The Idea of Alcoholism: Changing Perceptions of Alcoholism and Treatment in British Columbia, 1870-1988.” Health and Canadian Society Journal. 2(1): 9-34.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi (1995) “Cycles of Control: Alcohol Regulation and the Construction of Gender Role, British Columbia 1870-1925.” International Journal of Canadian Studies. 11, Spring: 101-120.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Odeda Steinberg (1995) “The Elasticity of the Law: Treating Girls in Distress in Israel through the Shadow of the Law.” The British Journal of Criminology. 35(2): 236-247.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Odeda Steinberg (1997) “The Feminization of the Female Offender.” The Journal of Women and Criminal Justice. 8(4): 57-77.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Zeev Rosenhek (2000) “Privatization and new Modes of State Intervention: The Long-Term Care Program in Israel.” Journal of Social Policy. 29(2): 247-262.
- Aviram, Uri, Zvia Admon, Mimi Ajzenstadt, and Arlene Kanter (2000) “Change and Preservation in Mental Health Legislation in Israel: The Legislative Process of Israel’s new Mental Health Law.” Mishaptim, 31(1): 145-191 (Hebrew).
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi (2001) "The Construction of Juvenile Delinquency in Light of Normality, Palestine 1922-1944.” Megamot. 41(1-2): 71-96. (Hebrew).
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and John Gal (2001) “Appearances can be deceptive: Gender in the Israeli Welfare State.” Social Politics: International Studies in Gender, State, and Society. 8(3): 292-324.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Odeda Steinberg (2001) “Never mind the Law: Legal Discourse and Rape Reform in Israel.” Affilia - Journal of Women and Social Work. 16(3): 337-359.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi, Uri Aviram, Moshe Kalian, and Arlene Kanter Arlene (2001) “Involuntary Outpatient Commitment in Israel: Treatment or Control?” International Journal of Law and Psychiatry. 24:637-657.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Gabriele Cavaglion (2002).“The Sexual Body of the Young Jew as an Arena of Ideological Struggle: 1821-1948.” Symbolic Interaction. 25(1): 93-116.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi (2002) “Crime, Social Control and the Process of Social Classification: Juvenile Delinquency/Justice Discourse in Israel, 1948-1970.” Social Problems. 49 (4)::585-604.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Gabriele Cavaglion (2003-2004) "Sociological Perspectives on the Origins of Child Abuse Legislation in Israel." Israel law Review. 37(1): 169-196.
- Allan Borowski and Ajzenstadt, Mimi (2005) "A solution without a Problem: Judges' Perspectives on the Impacts of the Introduction of Public Defenders on Israel's Juvenile Courts." British Journal of Criminology. 45(2): 183-200.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi (2005) " Reactions to Juvenile Delinquency in Israel, 1950-1970: A Social Narrative.'" Journal of Policy History. 17(4): 404-424.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Allan Borowski (2005) "Setting things straight: Probation Officers' Perspectives on the Impacts of the Introduction of Public Defenders on Israel's Juvenile Courts." Qualitative Social Work. Vol. 4(1): 33-50.
23.Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Gabriele Cavaglion (2005) " Stories about Child Sexual Abuse: Textual Analysis of Instruction Manuals in Israel." Qualitative Sociology. 28(3): 255-274.
- Allan, Borowski, and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2007) "Achieving Justice for Children: Public Defenders in Israel's Juvenile Courts." International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology. 51: 191-211.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi, John Gal and Alon Shapira (2007) "Towards Evidence-Based Policy: A Systematic Review of Programs dealing with Unemployment." Israeli Sociology. 9(1): 41-70. (Hebrew).
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi (2007) "The Dangerousness of 'Risk'". Social Security. 75: 65-88. (Hebrew).
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Barak Ariel (2008) "Terrorism and Risk Management: The Israeli case." Punishment and Society. 10(4): 355–374.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi (2009) "The Relative Autonomy of Women Offenders' Decision-Making." Theoretical Criminology. 13(2): 201-225.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi (2009) "Moral Panic and Neo-Liberalism: The Case of Single Mothers on Welfare in Israel." British Journal of Criminology. 49(1): 68-87.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi (2009) "Judicialization, Neo-Liberalism and Foreign Workers in Israel." International Review of Constitutionalism. 9(1): 107-133.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and David Bar-Gal (2010) "The Birth of the Paul Baerwald School of Social Work at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (1953-1958)". Society and Welfare. 30(1): 9-27. (Hebrew).
- Soffer, Michal and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2010) "On Stigma and Otherness: Mirror Representations of HIV/AIDS and Heart Disease in the Israeli Press." Qualitative Health Research. 20 (8): 1033-1049.
- Bar–Almog, Michal and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2010) "Women, Welfare and Civil Society Organizations: Creating an Alternative Women’s Welfare Sphere in Israel". Social Policy and Administration. 44(6): 673–688.
- Soffer, Michal and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2010) "The Multidimensionality of 'Pains of Imprisonment' among Incarcerated Women in Israel" Women and Health. 50(6):491-505.
- Fried, Bell and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2011) "Pathological Women Gamblers: Gender-Related Aspects of Control." Sex Roles. 66:128-142. Impact Factor: 1.213.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Assaf Shapira (2012) "The Socio-Legal Construction of Otherness under a Neo-Liberal Regime: The Case of Foreign Workers in the Israeli Criminal Courts." British Journal of Criminology. 52: 685-704.
- Ajzenstadt, Mimi and Mona Khoury-Kassabri (2012) "The Cultural Context of Juvenile Justice Policy in Israel." Journal of Social Policy. 1-18.
- Fried, Bell and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2012) "Securitization vs the yearning for peace in the Israeli casino discourse." International Gambling Studies, 1-16.
- Statland-Vaintraub, Olga, Mona Khoury-Kassabri, Mimi Ajzenstadt and Shabi Amedi (2012) "Risk Factors for Involvement in Delinquency among Immigrants and Native-Born Israeli Girls." Children and Youth Services Review. 34(10): 2052-2060.
- Gal, John and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2013) "The Long Path from a Soup Kitchen to a Welfare State in Israel." Journal of Policy History. 25(2): 240-263.
- Kravets-Fenner, Yuliana, Mona Khoury-Kassabri, Mimi Ajzenstadt and Shabi Amedi, (2013). "Risk Factors for Delinquency and Anti-Social Behavior among Adolescents treated by the Division of Att-Risk Youth. Society and Welfare. 33(1): 41-70. (Hebrew).
- Belle Gavriel-Fried, Einat Peled and Mimi Ajsenstadt (2015) Normative identity construction among women diagnosed with a gambling disorder. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. 85(2):159-169.
- Mimi Ajzenstadt and John Gal (2015) "Social Work and the Construction of Poverty in Palestine in the 1930s. Journal of Qualitative Social Work. 14: 154-169.
- Shomron Moyal and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2015) "Judging Road-accidents in Israel." Mishpateem 14: 933-972 (Hebrew).
- Fried, Bell and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2015) "Peace and War Narratives in the Casino Discourse in Israel. Megamot. 70 (1)L 227-257. (Hebrew).
- Bar–Almog, Michal and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2015) "You feel that you bump into a wall and you establish an NGO: Grassroots organizations, providing welfare services." Social Security, 98: 97-128 (Hebrew).
- Shwartz-Ziv, Tamar., Blit-Cohen, Edith., & Ajzenstadt, Mimi. (2019). "The grassroots of women in need of public housing in Israel: The choice to struggle, Social Security, 106, 123-156. [Hebrew].
- Birger, Lior., Nadan, Yochai., & Ajzenstadt, Mimi. (2020). "Politicisation processes in everyday practice with refugees: the experiences of Israeli and German social workers." European Journal of Social Work. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/13691457.2020.1793107
- Zvika Orr & Mimi Ajzenstadt (2020) "Beyond control: the criminalization of African asylum seekers in Israel." International Review of Sociology, 30:1, 142-165, DOI: 10.1080/03906701.2020.1724369